Monday, February 27, 2017

Framed Shiplap




Two words... FRAMED SHIPLAP!! This is probably my favorite DIY to date...actually, no it IS my favorite DIY! I just couldn't commit to doing an entire wall shiplap, I know I'd love it but its just so..permanent! So I headed to hobby lobby to see what I could do to make this happen. I went to the clearance section because they always have frames deeply marked down. I found a frame and had sticker shock at the price it used to be and now was...$175.50 down to $17.50!?!? That is crazy!! After I came down from my shock, I decided it would be perfect and 
now here we are! I just love it!

Supplies-
Frame (any kind, you can paint anything :)
Paint (I used chalk paint)
Paintbrush
Plywood
White paint
Wood glue
Words you want to use
Black Acrylic Paint





Directions-
If needed, paint your frame. This chalkpaint was pretty thin and chipped easily so I had to do a few coats. I then took the frame to Lowes with me to figure out what kind of ship lap I needed. I would suggest not painting the frame first if your going to take the frame to Lowes with you....you can only imagine the chips I had when I got home!!

The boards I purchased were "craft boards" and were a little pricey. The cutting saw they have at Lowes was broken otherwise I would of had them cut plywood into strips.

I painted the boards with flat white latex paint, its just what I had left over from other projects

Once they were dry I started with the words. I printed my words out and just cut them down. I placed them where I wanted them, I then  traced the letters with a pencil pressing hard so it left an indention in the wood. Then I just ran my pencil over the indention's so I could see where to paint.



I used regular black acrylic paint and a thin paint brush to "color" in my letters. This is not going to be perfect, nor is it easy but it looks great once your done.

After all that dried I started placing the boards onto the frame. It was tricky trying to space them out but once I got them where I wanted, I lifted one board up at a time and started to glue them down.



The glue HAS to dry over night, I tried to pick it up 45 mins later and my boards all slide down so make sure you let it dry!

I hope this tutorial was helpful! Please follow me on instagram and tag me in your pictures! @thewindinghollow


No comments:

Post a Comment